Monday, April 03, 2006

Things I've Done to Torture Myself at Work : April 3rd Edition

Checked the weather in LA. It’s 70 degrees and sunny, just so you know.

Overheard a conversation between two managers, which included the following phrases: “flow chart conversions,” “leaning out processes,” and “restructures.” Uh oh.

Saw a small pile of what appeared to be Bacon Bits on the countertop of the bathroom. (It turned out to be the shavings of someone’s eyebrow pencil.) Sudden urge for Bacon Bits now.

In recognition of Daylight Savings Time, changed the finger prick lancet. Realized that I may be slightly gross.

Watched a manager take two coffee breaks within an hour, then proceed to chastise an employee for leaving their desk to go to the copier.

Caught a glimpse of the sunshine outside. Filled with jealous rage towards trees based on the fact that no one expects them to sit at a desk for nine hours.

Listened to the man who sits in front of me talk about the upcoming Yankees game. “Love them Yankees!” Realize that he doesn’t sit close enough to actually hit, so I just threw a pen at him and then blamed it on someone else.

Checked the weather in LA again. Still sunny.

(Redeeming moment: In Googling the word "Sunny" in search of a picture, I came across a book series called "Sunny."

Description: Sunny wakes up on a bright, summer morning to the familiar sounds of his wonderful world. Inspired by what they hear, he and his friends decide to invent their own playful brand of music. Before long, the happy children get down to a hootennanny time."

My mood has significantly improved just from reading the work "hootennanny.")

20 Comments:

At April 03, 2006 10:12 AM, Blogger E said...

I love bacon bits.

 
At April 03, 2006 10:18 AM, Blogger diabeticfeed said...

Things You've Done to Torture Yourself at Work...

Kerri, you forgot the most important one...

You showed up.
:)
Christel

 
At April 03, 2006 10:47 AM, Blogger art-sweet said...

Thanks for reminding me to change that lancet, Kerri.

I usually realize it might be time to change the lancet when I have to change the depth setting on the finger sticker from my usual "kiddie pool deep" to "exploring the remains of the titanic deep" - and I can still only squeeze out a small drop.

 
At April 03, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

E. - Bacon Bits are just so damn delicious. Seriously.

Christel - I'm currently searching for my red Swingline stapler. It would be a lot easier to find if they would stop moving my desk. Grrrr...

Art-Sweet - When I start debating whether I can just squeeze a recently used finger in hopes of some blood instead of harpooning myself with the well-used pricker ... then it's time for me to change my lancet. :)

 
At April 03, 2006 10:57 AM, Anonymous Elizabeth Zabell said...

That's a great word. I can see how it made you smile...

My younger brother lives in San Diego and everytime I talk to him he's like "Yeah, it's about 70 and sunny. I'm going surfing today." I am sitting here in Cleveland, where the weather is notoriously crappy in the winter, wondering why I chose to live here...

 
At April 03, 2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous caro said...

"Realized that I may be slightly gross."

Erm... I think that is actually normal!

When I first got a Multiclix, my doctor declared with glee that the lancets for them are "actually quite cheap" and proceeded to write me a script for 612 of the damn things. I thought I better start changing them a bit more regularly. For one whole day, I turned the drum on EVERY TIME.

Now I have 600 Multiclix lancets in the bathroom cabinet ;-)

 
At April 03, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger diabeticfeed said...

Kerri,
Don't laugh.

We have a red Swingline stapler. Honest.

I bought it for John for his birthday a while back.

LMAO...
Christel

 
At April 03, 2006 1:47 PM, Blogger julia said...

It's opening day. That, combined with the lovely hootenany, should have you grinning like a lunatic.

 
At April 03, 2006 3:14 PM, Blogger George said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 03, 2006 3:16 PM, Blogger George said...

I tell Vegetarians, "If God wanted us not to eat meat then he would not have made Pigs out of Bacon!"

Bacon rocks, Strips or Bits!

Thanks for the post. Hootenany brightened my day too.
FYI - I am in LA and it is starting to rain although still 70.

 
At April 03, 2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Kelsey said...

My mood has significantly improved just from reading your blog Kerri!

Oh Elizabeth, don't be too envious of San Diego living... the median home price is almost $600K. Paradise comes at a high price these days! :)

 
At April 03, 2006 7:19 PM, Blogger mdmpls said...

Just to make you feel better, it is now raining in Los Angeles and there is a flash flood warning for the next 24 hours!

 
At April 03, 2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Hootenany. Ha!! I love that word!

 
At April 04, 2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Kassie said...

tame that jealous rage, girl, trees can't up and move to LA!

 
At April 04, 2006 8:52 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 04, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

If they did, it would be foliage-ladened hootenanny.

 
At April 04, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

I changed my lancet today and realized I don't remember the last time I changed it. Hopefully my fingers, or yours for that matter, don't fall off. :) I skipped work today, so I feel for you.

 
At April 04, 2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Jess Riley said...

hootenannies are my absolute favorite! :)

 
At April 04, 2006 11:28 PM, Blogger SUPERMOM said...

I have AT LEAST 5,000 lancets in the house and yet I have to keep reminding Carylanne to change hers. Nice she seems to be trying to hoard and preserve her stash! Now I am thinking of bacon bits but mixed with onions and lima beans all sauteed in butter and garlic salt.MMMMM

Hey it was 84 in Flroida today! (no smog either)

 
At April 05, 2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Maura said...

Maybe you would be happier in the non-profit sector. Grant writing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home